Friday 23 March 2012

Interview with The Whip & Bone

Third interview in three days, done! 
Today's interview us with Nick Deparis from The Whip & Bone, an folk/electro-acoustic duo from Brighton, UK. Check out their myspace to discover their brilliance for yourself... http://www.myspace.com/1hearchi1ec1

Here's the interview... enjoy!


How and when did the band form?
The band is a collaboration of friends, it came into being just over a year ago with a neighbour, we wanted a violinist to join so we advertised for one in the Brighton area, and I met up with Steve & discovered we had a lot of similar musical influences in common. Steve is now a regular feature in my songs but living in Brighton we both like to collaborate with others in different projects. I like to collaborate and feature people in my songs who are on the same page regarding structure and style, musical compatibility & drive.

Who are your musical influences?
Too much to mention but what comes to mind is Tom Waits, Nick Drake, Radiohead, Nick Cave, the Doors… the list goes on. I also draw influences from 60's rock & Jazz as well as experimental electronic elements.

How did you come up with the band name?
Originally we were known as 'The Architect' but soon discovered that there was a heavy metal band in Brighton with the same name, so we decided on 'The Whip & Bone'; 'Whip' representing the violin & 'Bone' representing the Guitar.

What is the best gig you have ever played?
In the Komedia in Brighton, part of an evening featuring an eclectic mix of bands & DJs that went on till the early hours.

What is the worst gig you have ever played?
It was at a wedding! It went well but I didn't really like the type of music I had to play.

Which of your own tracks is your favourite and why?
I think probably 'Drifting' at the moment, I think this song lyrically resonates with a lot of people, regarding perception of others and where they currently stand in life - their hopes, fears & trying to progress.

Is there a running theme throughout your lyrics or a certain message you try to put across through your music?
It’s mostly about observation, love, hate and fate, internally & externally.

What’s an average day in the recording studio consist of?
The studio is like my second home, I chill, eat, drink and write songs there. If I am not collaborating with a musician then I produce all the music, but if for example I write a song with Steve collaborating on violins then usually I start the process, then Steve will work on it. We do this back & forth process until we are both happy with the finished result.

What band would you most like to tour with?
There are lots of bands which I would love to tour with, but high up there would probably be the likes of Tom Waits or Nick Cave.

Where do you see yourself as a band in 5 years’ time?
I hope to have a couple of albums under my belt and be recognised as representatives of Brighton’s music scene.


Thanks Nick... make sure you check them out! 
You can find them here... http://www.myspace.com/1hearchi1ec1

No comments:

Post a Comment