Thursday 24 May 2012

Interview with fiN


Another interview that we're sorry we've made you wait so long for is a quick interview we did a couple of weeks ago with Luke Joyce, the lead singer from fiN, an indie quartet from London. fiN are soon to need no introductions, as we predict that sometime soon they'll be soaring to success, and rightly so! Check out their new video for their single, Everybody Dies Alone http://youtu.be/ykoY2UFlapY 


We've kept you waiting for two weeks so let's cut to the interview!

How and when did the band form?

We've been together for just over 3 years. Kerry and I went to school together. We were in and out of different bands until I met Jonny and Simon who also went to school together. We had a different bass player but when he left we asked Kerry to be in the band, from then on we became fiN.

Who are the bands musical influences?

I grew up on all kinds of music. From an early age I listened to Motown and Michael Jackson but my real love of music came when I heard Nirvana. We are influenced by a lot of 90's music from Pearl Jam to Mansun. 

How did you come up with the band name?

I was looking through books/movies and records trying to find a decent name. Then I looked through song titles and came across the album 'Brighten The Corners' by Pavement. On it there is a song called fin and I just thought it would be a perfect name.

What was the best gig you’ve ever played?

There have been so many incredible gigs for me over the last 6 months but I would have to say our last single launch at Bush Hall was a big moment for us. It gave us a chance to put on the kind of big production we normally only dream of.

What was the worst gig you’ve ever played?

I tend to forget the bad shows. They are rare and I always find positives in any dodgy show.

Which of your own tracks is your favourite and why?

It would have to be Everybody Dies Alone. That song was a big step forward for us and I love playing it live.

Is there a running theme throughout your lyrics or a certain message you try to put across through your music?

I try and write about what I know, I like to try and put a positive swing on things. Our album is a celebration over adversity. 

What’s an average day in the recording studio consist of?

Coffee. Experimentation. Coffee. Sushi. More experimentation. 

What band would you most like to tour with?

I'd love to tour with Pearl Jam. That would be a dream come true.

Where do you see yourself as a band in 5 years’ time?

I'd love to see us headlining Reading Festival. That would be a massive achievement for us. 

Thanks Luke!

You can find fiN here…

No comments:

Post a Comment